Chocolate chip cookies and cookie cake are probably my favorite desserts ever. I am trying hard to embrace my new Low FODMAP diet so on Saturday night I was determined to make some delicious cookies. Lately I have been making the microwave cookie in a mug but it is just not the same. I signed up for Thrive Market and got some coconut sugar, oat flour and sprouted brown rice flour (okay we get you fancy flour).
I recently downloaded the FODMAP app for my phone and it is so helpful! I also did a ton of research on gluten free baking and am not quite ready to explore the gums yet. In my normal chocolate chip cookies, I add a little corn starch, it always keeps them light and fluffy and it really worked in these too.
All of these ingredients are low on the FODMAP. However, everyone’s stomach is so different, you may need to sub some ingredients based on your own needs.
These cookies are so so amazing! Even my husband likes them and he hates cookies (a serious flaw that I can’t believe I overlook).
One note about the recipe. Keep the oil pretty cold. In my second batch, the oil got warmer and those cookies are now a little harder.
- 2 oz cold coconut oil
- 3 oz coconut sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 10 oz oat flour
- 6 oz rice flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon corn starch
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 oz milk (I used pecan milk)
- 6 oz chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Place cold coconut oil and sugar into mixer with paddle attachment.
- Cream together for about 5 minutes. Add the egg and vanilla.
- In a separate bowl, combine the dry ingredients (flours, soda, powder, starch and salt) until combined.
- Then add dry ingredients to wet mixture and mix until combined.
- Add the milk. It will still be a pretty thick dough.
- Roll in the chocolate chips. Then shape into balls and place on cookie sheet.
- Bake until crispy on the bottom. I baked mine for about 20-25 minutes.
Hope you enjoy! Next week I will be trying gluten free bread.